Monday, December 19, 2011

I Now Pronounce You . . .

 . . . legally licensed to perform weddings in the State of Ohio.  Yep, I sure am.


Deciding to do this was a long, thoughtful process, And I'm content with my decision.  As a life long Presbyterian who was ordained as an Elder at the tender age of 17, it's been an odd journey from every Sunday in the pews to my current spiritual state.  I'm extremely thankful that I attended churches where it was not necessary to leave our brains at the door.  I see so many alleged Christians today who even violently believe that their way is the only way that it scares the daylights out of me.  To see an alleged Christian governor pay for a political ad where he blasts so many good people is reprehensible.

I also know now that the pews aren't for everyone.  For my children, for example.  Autism and church didn't go well together, and was exacerbated by the fact that my kids didn't go to school with the kids at church. (In actuality very few of the kids at our church went to school together.  We were sort of a regional church.)  I made the tough decision to stay at home on Sunday mornings, knowing that my kids wouldn't be under any extra stress.  I still don't often go anywhere on Sunday mornings, and I truly miss hand bell choir, but there it is.  Lots of church friends said well, I should come anyway, but if my children weren't welcome, was I?  I felt not.

Anywho, when our daughter married, she and her husband chose a friend to officiate.  Dig this, he owns a really cool bar in town.  When we first heard about their plans, DH and I just stood there looking stupid.  But the alternative would have been a judge, with no family or friends in attendance. The ritual of standing before friends and family to say you'll be good to one another is powerful. And it was indeed a beautiful ceremony and many years later, they are still the happy couple. 


I've been thinking a lot since their wedding day, about what constitutes a wedding and a marriage.  And I feel strongly that I can help folks start their lives together, with dignity and ritual. I've followed all the legal steps needed and now can perform services.  Awesome.

So if you're in NW Ohio, and are looking for a happy, cheery officiant for your wedding, give me a call.  I've set up blog, to wrap my thoughts around the whole deal.  Check out Kirk o' the Pines.

I'm also working on finding out how I can perform weddings in Wyoming.  At first blush, it seems that the officiant need only be ordained, not licensed by the state.  I'll keep looking.

1 comment:

  1. I think its great that you are licensed to perform weddings! I wish you well on your new venture.

    ReplyDelete