Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Planning Ahead

We're spending an inordinate amount of time and cash cleaning/fixing up the house this week.  I never bother to even spit shine the place, if I don't have a party coming up.  We didn't have so much as a dinner visitor since I got home last October, so the place has been in a shambles.

We're having a party on Sunday to celebrate All Things DD!  He's been in HS for 4 years, and will complete 2 more a the vocational HS FTD currently attends.  When FTD was about this age, he earned his Eagle Scout rank, so we threw a big party for him.  It was his bar mitzvah, graduation, confirmation, and birthday party all rolled into one. His Coming of Age party.  So now, we're throwing a really early graduation/Amtrak/Nascar and We're never in Ohio for his birthday party now.  We'll be back out west by the time the rest of his peeps walk across the stage.  And he has sworn up and down that he won't do it.  Even talking about it makes him turn pale.  No problem.  FTD did walk with his peers, but he also had more typically developing friends than DD does.

So it's party time at our house.  I've been thinking that maybe we could add 'a little color' in the dining room foyer.  Boy oh boy did I ever.  So far the folks who have seen it have been kind enough to say they like it.  We sure do.  I wish I could remember what FTD said about it.... so screwed up and so right on all at the same time.

Since the train layouts are in the basement, much of the party activity will be down there.  And that meant covering up the utility mess.  DH did a great job on it.  He's down there even as I type sawing stuff up.  Dunno what kind of mess there will be, but maybe just maybe he'll clean it up.  I wrote out a list, and he actually acknowledged that it looked like a plan.  We even got a little bit more done, in the form of hanging a door on his Man Cave.  What ever he's up to now, I think he wants to surprise me. So I'll wait till he's finished.  (After I wrote that rant about what a slob he is, I realized that since he's playing FB Scrabble now, he might actually read my posts.  Oops, my bad.  But the truth hurts sometimes.)

Anywho, if you've ever been involved with a household project you know fully well that one thing leads to another.  In this case is was carpet cleaning. I haven't had them done since forever, so today it was.  They look great.  I picked out nearly-white carpet for the living room, hall, and our bedroom, and everyone, and I do mean everyone thought I was nuts.  In my defense, I must say that the LR and hall look pretty dang good for 15+ years old carpet.  It's a nice, simple berber.  Our BR hasn't faired quite as well, so my earnings from next summer will go to real hardwood floors and area rug for our room next fall.  We are on round two of family room carpet, but we knew that would wear out soonest.

So tomorrow, we put the furniture back, and finish the dusting and tidying.  Then I tackle the kitchen....

or maybe not....

4 comments:

  1. Wow... a HS kid party... wow! You are one brave woman!!!

    I'm sure the party will be great and can't wait to hear about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We decided to enclose our side porch and make it a sun room. So, in addition to the construction mess, there are additional ones added that are a result of some previous action. Since they will add on to the gable roof and enlarge our attic, our attic needed to be somewhat reorganized so they could get through to the area they need. This involved a mess in the attic which resulted in a mess downstairs since we decided to sort, donate, toss lots of stuff. Then some of the stuff had to be relocated to the shed which resulted in a mess there too. So, all in all, my house is in a shambles too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to think it doesn't feel like as much work because it's all for the "All things DD" party. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ..you sure have been busy! I like the new color in the post below. Hope the party is awesome!

    ReplyDelete