Monday, November 2, 2009

Glass City Rollers

The Glass City Rollers--the new girls on the block. This is a flat track roller derby team from Toledo. Why am I interested? One of my nieces is the club president--that would be Sally Seam Rip-Her, whose number is 5/8. Get it? 5/8 inch seam allowance? Oy. Any who, we were really skeptical about "Sally's" interest in this. But it's turned out to be a lot of fun.

Flat track derby isn't nearly as rough as the old derby circuit. They have so many rules I'm really not sure what the girls can do--they can throw a hip, but no pushing, tripping, all sorts of stuff. The refs keep incredibly close track of what's going on on the track. A game is called a bout, and all of the skaters chose really horrid, punny names. I sat with my step-daughter, whom I'll call Betty Beehive, who sort of knows the rules. It took me all through the first half to get a grasp of the rules. Once you figure out how to watch and what to watch for, you start to see the strategy of it.

It wasn't gruesome, even though the bout was held on Halloween, and we'll be back for the next home bout. This was the Glass City Rollers (GCR) first home bout, and they only sold about 100 tickets before the bout. But they filled at least 800 seats, and the place was full. It really was fun to watch. I'm hooked.

Did I mention that the bout took place on Halloween? Crowds don't usually look like folks from the Rocky Horror Picture Show at bouts. In fact, I was amazed at how normal most folks in the crowd looked. I dressed up as Waldo, so people could find me. When I was Sally's age, I was directing a baton and drum corps for kids--good exercise, but not nearly as exciting as this deal. The next home bout for the GCR will be in December, and after the great publicity and fun at the last bout, I'm willing to bet the next one will sell out. Get those tickets early and see you there!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this story about Derby. It's great to see these woman playing hard and having fun. I play for Magic City Rollers out of Billings, MT. Best of luck to Glass City Rollers for this upcoming year. Roller Derby Rocks!

    ReplyDelete