Thursday, March 29, 2012

Packing Already? Seriously?

Yep, I am.

Just like the birds that sense the longer day, the bison that move to find the new spring grasses, and baseball fans who do what ever it is baseball fans do, I start packing with the longer day and warmer temps.

Last week's mind-blowing record highs and fantabulous weather started it.  I was looking for a nice summer top to wear last week, and ended up packing my summer street clothes.  Every year I tell myself I'm not going to take as much and every year I don't do that. Maybe this year....

I also ended up packing most of my books, because they had over taken the laundry room/office.  I was looking for one little thing and ended up re-packing and condensing several boxes.  I have cut down on books, knowing that the Mad Crew has a goodly supply of stuff, but I still have my own field guides and geyser guides.  Plus I try to take some non-parkie stuff for those few occasions when I need to get my head out of the park.

Anywho, I spent most of yesterday doing paperwork crap for the boys.  I've said before that I'm so thankful the safety net is out there for them, but it comes with tons of paperwork.  I'm hoping to get the info into a more universally useful format.  I have some of it under control, but now that I use my dumb phone for more and more info, it means adding it to the phone the old-fashioned way.... one entry at a time. No nifty linking cables from the Mac to the phone.  There's an iPhone in my future, but since I've already decided what this year's earnings are going to, and it'll be expensive... the phone may not happen for another couple of years.  And by then, I'll need a new laptop.....  I am thinking about getting an iPad for play and keep this laptop for more work/life related things.  Maybe.....

Anywho, with the changes in our lives, I'll be chained to paperwork, meetings, and more paperwork for the boys in the next few weeks.  I sorta have this naive hope that we won't have to do such extensive paperwork again, unless we end up with a bunch of ultra-conservative morons in state and national government, who believe the best way to balance a budget is on the backs of my kids and/or at the expense of a clean, safe environment.  Could be a double whammy.

So to make a short story long, I'm thinking I won't have much blogging time for the next few weeks.  I love reading your adventures, but can't always leave a note, but know that I'm with ya! I do have a few quilty things to finish up, along with a flamingo outfit, but then it will be time to 'close' up the crafty corner. (Did I mention that in lieu of summer clothes, I'm taking more sewing stuff??? :)  )

I did get DH's 'crappy' quilt bound and done!  I won a batik jelly roll, then added leftovers from our giant bed quilt and FTD's log cabin quilt to make it big enough for using on a sofa or up at the lake.  I double sewed corners and such to make it nearly indestructible so he can trash it all he wants.


DH's stripy quilt--the one he can beat to heck.  And I suspect finding it laying around outside will be the norm.
I also make a mini-quilt that I thought I'd enter in the Sauder Village (Ohio) Quilt Festival.  The Challenge this was to use Ohio Star~~ 'natch one of my favs~~using Bear Essentials fabric in one of several suggested colorways.  I bought the starter pack in fall colors, which looked sumptuous in the store and after I ironed them.  Then I started messing with them on my computer. The other contest stipulations were use at least 4 Ohio Stars, and one colorway, and one neutral, also from Bear Essentials.  Well, I worked and worked and for the life of me couldn't find a combo I liked.  So I decided screw it, I'll just make and enter in the plain old category.  So I worked and worked, and stitched and ripped and by golly every single point was perfect!  And you know 'perfect' is not my long suit, I really don't have a patience for it.  So here 'tis:  I call it Bearly Up to the Challenge~~get it???

Bearly Up to the Challenge, by yours truly, 3/25/12.  Mostly Bear Essentials fabric.

The background fabric is Timeless Treasures, Are We There Yet? Line.  It says things like, "Don't feed the bears," "Are we there yet," "Take a hike," "Pack it in, pack it out" and stuff.  Get it.... BEARS...?

Will ya look at those points?  All of them!! Perfect!!
Not being a precision or even a good quilter, I just went simple, simple classic quilting on it.  Yea for me!  Then I went back online to get the registration forms and read the following:

REGISTRATION FOR ALL CATEGORIES EXCEPT CHALLENGE QUILTS ARE CLOSED.

Are you kidding me?  Why the hell didn't I read the big print first?  Oh, because it was buried several pages after all the other info.  Crap.  So now I have a beautiful little quilt that needs a really special home.  And there's only one I can think of, and that's my West Yell friend Lois, who hand quilted FTD's quilt.  She'll be so happy!  And I'm so proud that it's so darn good!



Today, I'm back to PT, then off to BadAmy's to help unload the few leftovers from the show she did last weekend.  She did fabulously well, and we're just tickled pink for her.

Tomorrow, back to the paperwork/meeting grind.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad not to think about packing, yet. Plus it all goes with me anyway. Love the Bearly quilt. You are one busy lady. Sorry to hear about all the endless paper work. Bet you'll be glad to get back to YELL. I'm feeling the itchy feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just dumped everything from last summer into a corner of the garage - I'm starting to sift through it to see what I can't live without!

    ReplyDelete